Author Topic: Where can green stickers start going up the Skyway?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline w8ng4msrgt

• New to our board
Where can green stickers start going up the Skyway?
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
I have been wondering where green stickers can unload and start going up the Skyway. I have heard it is still Inskip but other folks have said it is at the Y. Any knowledgeable replies would be greatly appreciated. I have a Mule with a dump bed and can pull a trailer.

I would love to come up this weekend but am in the process of helping the gf move and don't want to sleep on the couch. 

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
Re: Where can green stickers start going up the Skyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
Well, its perverse.  You can legally ride from the start of the dirt road, which is where Humbug Summit Road leaves the Skyway.  That is a County road, and the county allows mixed use on dirt roads, as most counties do.  But at the turnoff to the High Lakes on 25N05, you leave County Rd, and go onto a ML3 (Maintenance Level 3), which someone in the Forest Service Region office in Vallejo or somewhere far away made the decision that there should not be mixed use on any FS road above ML2.  ML3 status is good for having the road actually maintained, and for fire crews, but it make it a ticketable offence to drive a green-stickered vehicle on the road.  So you could trailer to the Philbrook boat launch, but can't legally drive that last stretch.  Technically, you have to trailer all the way to the T.  The last two years have officially been "warning only" years, and this year that has ended.  There are groups that are trying to change it, and we complain to the Lassen NF often, but it is a Region decision.

We are also working on an alternate route that would go from County Road up to the T on a 50" wide (all OHV, no street legal Toys/Jeeps).  They have an proposed map from FOTHL, and are running through their planning process, whatever that is.  I expect some action this year in the form of flagging, but no dirt moving.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 04:21:01 PM by chicomecha »
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ