Author Topic: Lost hiker, broke into cabin to survive  (Read 2049 times)

Offline CAPMountain

Lost hiker, broke into cabin to survive
« on: December 25, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
Did you hear about the guy who tried to hike from Inskip to the PCT back down to Belden with a large storm breathing down his neck?  Guess he broke into a "Philbrook area" cabin to survive.  I am curious which cabin suffered became the survival shack.  I have calls and messages out to different people.  I will hopefully have answers tomorrow.  Anybody else have information?

Here is the link to the article in the Chico ER (http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_22256564/chico-man-rescued-after-five-nights-snow).
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline ragdump

Re: Lost hiker, broke into cabin to survive
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
I read the story about the dumbass and saw the search Helicopter a couple of times,it said he was hiking up the Philbrook Creek drainage so that sounds like behind the old store,he made camp about a mile up and it started to snow so he thought he'd spend another day and enjoy his camp ?? then he decided it's real snowing and it's getting deep maybe I should leave,the snow was so deep it took him 2 days to get back the mile down to Philbrook where he broke into a cabin (probably the store)  then it clears up that one day and mister genus decides to continue on to the PCT,the search Helicopter spots his trail going back up the hill then they see him,they had to have a rescue guy hang from the cable and lower him down to harness dumbass in then they flew over to Carr mine and landed and put him in the copter at about 1 PM shortly after they flew right over my place on the way back to Oroville