Author Topic: Hunting the High Lakes  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Tony

• New to our board
Hunting the High Lakes
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
Hi there,

As I drew a tag to hunt the High Lakes area this coming Aug, I was wondering if anyone else has hunted the high lakes area and what their experience was. I drew an Archery tag so I will be hunting on the opener on the 18th.   I have been to the high lakes two times before but mostly to grassy and saddle lake entering from the south.  How is the hunting? As most deer (big bucks especially) are found where there is plenty of food and a lack of people, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where I good populations of bucks would be?  Oliver, Mudd, Chips and Murphy lake seem to be only accessbile via hiking, might these areas produce some good bucks? Being an archery hunter, best hunting is done by getting up high and glassing open areas at long distance (non heavy timbered) and then planning a stalk once the bucks bed down. Is it possible to drive a stock truck 4x4 to Long Lake or Spring Valley Lake?  From  there, I was planning on hiking or ATV to a spike camp then hunt on foot. Any and all ideas or suggestion/recommendations/past experiences would be greatly recommended. As I am in the gathering information phase the more data the better. Thanks, Tony

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Re: Hunting the High Lakes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
stock 4x4 truck can, with care, get to Spring Valley Lake, way less positive to Long Lake

Good assumption as to deer... where less people are.

We have 3 people working out in the south area ...  on 615  /  614   near 616    and using vehicles and equipment and will be working until August 31 mostly weekends like Friday through Monday  or Saturday through Tuesday.

I saw three deer claimed during rifle season last year.  I'm sure a couple more got past me, though.  I heard of none during archery season.

Be very aware that your quad needs a green sticker , and cannot leave any road / trail on the map by more than 15 feet, for any reason.

This map:   http://friendsofthehighlakes.com/maps/highLAKESmap33.jpg     and 4 planted in high lakes.

K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply... Would it be safe to leave the truck at Spring Lake and ATV to other lakes from there? The camp sites are first come first serve? 

Any good bucks come out of rifle season last year? Have you heard of certain areas that produce bigger bucks than others? Open, grassy, low vegatation, hillside slopes with plenty of feed are typically good spots for bucks in Aug.

Are the mosquitos bad in August? Are you allowed to have a campfire?

Thanks for the information and sorry for all the questions - trying to do my homework.

Thanks!

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply... Would it be safe to leave the truck at Spring Lake and ATV to other lakes from there? The camp sites are first come first serve? 

Plenty of traffic at Spring Valley Lake including from Friday noon to Monday noon our census crew camped there.  Please don't park in a camp site if you are not camping there, though, ie:  don't block a camp, if not camping there.  Yes, all camps are first come

Any good bucks come out of rifle season last year? Have you heard of certain areas that produce bigger bucks than others? Open, grassy, low vegatation, hillside slopes with plenty of feed are typically good spots for bucks in Aug.

Most hunters consider one with forks or better to be a GOOD buck.   I've always heard that the bucks are mostly hiding deep in Chipps Canyon.. and best hunted on horseback.  No roads / trails, only hiking / horses., and why they hide there.  In other words, where there are no roads / trails / people

Are the mosquitos bad in August? Are you allowed to have a campfire?

If near open water mosquitos  can be bad   ---   unless USFS / CAL-Fire declare a no fire time, a fire is permitted if you have a valid fire permit, and follow the rules.   This is a very dry low humidity time of year, through August / September so it is quite possible fire / no fire can change watch for notices.

Thanks for the information and sorry for all the questions - trying to do my homework.

Thanks!
K6KLK

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Thanks again for the information.

Coming in from Philbrook direction, how long does it take to get to Grassy from the Hwy? approx. I have always entered from the south, concow - south...

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
depends on what you are riding, and how fast you ride....   but guess if you are talking about "Highway" being Inskip to Humboldt Road where the blacktop is.....guess maybe an hour or slightly less.

Be aware that the work crew , working on the south side, 3 - 4 guys are camped now at Grassy Lake in the far camp.   The could possible be done there and moved on in a few weeks.   Still a nice camp along the lake nearer the trail,
K6KLK

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
Understood...

How is the route  - soda springs to skyway to philbrook? Looks like one of the more direct options....?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
Soda Springs?    Don't know where that is....   not part of The High lakes.

Depending on stops  to air down , coffee-, coffee-out, traffic, dust    I can get from Mid-Magalia to Lotts Lake T  in +/- 1 hour,
K6KLK

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »
Humboldt to Butte Meadows to Humburg to Philbrook - does that sound about right for a stock 4x4?

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 04:46:53 AM »
Does anyone know of any hunters that consistantly hunt the High Lakes?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
Humboldt to Butte Meadows to Humburg to Philbrook - does that sound about right for a stock 4x4?

That is all ine for stock anything.....  8 more miles of dirt to Lotts Lake "T" also ok
K6KLK

Offline Tony

• New to our board
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »

That is all ine for stock anything.....  8 more miles of dirt to Lotts Lake "T" also ok

Where is the "t" Ken?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
Lotts Lake is the nearest feature to the "T"   After the Philbrook Lake "Y"  it is 8 miles to Lotts Lake "T" being the place where the trail comes to a "T" and has a big map
K6KLK