Author Topic: Mid-Week Snow trip  (Read 3305 times)

Offline CAPMountain

Mid-Week Snow trip
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Planning on going up with one of my buddies on the 22nd-23rd (Wed-Thursday) to see if we can drive in to my place.  Anyone interested in a fun adventure in the snow?
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
Re: Mid-Week Snow trip
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
We got about 6" in sterling last night so figure a foot at philbrook in addition to what was already there. I going to try to go up this weekend with the Paradise 4 wheelers I'll let you know what it looks like if I do.
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »
Can't make the Wed, and by Thurs you will already be in.  Not a sled ride yet, still wheeled.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
I would love any feedback on snow conditions you are able to get.  Unlikely to be anyone up there so I want to be as prepared as possible.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »
We went out the S-line from Inskip Saturday and made it to the sharp turn before that climb up to Jones Meadows. Of the 21 rigs on the run 5-6 went up the hill to Jones Meadows where they said there was 2-3 feet of snow. Because of how warm it was the snow was really sloppy wet. I know another group went towards the High Lakes but I don't know how far they made it.
Let me know what day you're going and if I'm available I go up.
Gary
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
I am curious how far the High Lakes group made it.  I can't tell by looking at the Norcal Crawlers web page.  The plan is to head up Wednesday but won't hit Inskip until 1030 or 11.  All goes well we will be staying the night at my place and heading back out on Thursday by noon.  I would love to have another rig along with me.

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »
I haven't heard from any of them and it looks like I am now busy Wednesday. Good Luck and I'll listen to the radio when I can on Wed and Thur in case you need anything, Gary N6BLU

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »
Thanks for keeping an ear out Gary.

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
I had a great trip despite with some friends despite an early hiccup.  Disappointing amount of snow for the end of February but it was great to be driving around up there.  Certainly couldn’t beat the weather.  Enjoy the pictures. 
Lott’s T

What happened to the sign?

Spring Valley sign

Someone did some ice fishing

Wonderful time snowshoeing, up the hill, loved the view

Found some fresh snow, had a great time

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:47:05 PM by CAPMountain »

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
By hiccup, were you the ones who found the guy deceased in his car above Inskip? :'(

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
That would be a correct assumption.  Saw the article in the Paradise Post too.

Offline eigermike

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
thanks for the pics! looks like a great time! :)