Author Topic: Morris/HL Flume history  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Scooterloo

Morris/HL Flume history
« on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
Does anyone have any legit history on the hand dug flume above the west side of Morris lake. I talked to a guy that said he used to hike it for miles but that is all he had to say about it.......

History lesson request I guess.   :)

Offline wheeler53

• New to our board
Re: Morris/HL Flume history
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:50:24 AM »
what I have heard, is it was dug & lined with slate slabs by chines labor, it moved snow melt to the mine. Have walk around out that way a bit found an ore car & a few small diggings, would love to poke around out that way some more. Dan

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
The ( Lott) mine was owned by Judge Lott of Oroville.  There are two snow ponds on top of the hill...  there is a road up to them, but it is NOT ( legally ) open to vehicles.

Since the Judge Lott / Oroville connections it is simply to follow that the flumes from the snow ponds down to the water cannons for hydraulic mining ( which was banned in 1959 ), were built by Chinese laborers, likely for $ 1.00 a day and all the rice they could eat.

The slate lined flume is largely intact, unlike the scum bags who have destroyed the cabin.

In the early 80s when the ranger Virgil was around, he lived in the cabin, with a USFS provided propane refrigerator, and patrolled 5 days a week, going out the south side back to Chester. The last time I was there the refrigerator was somewhere near the front door.  There used to a nice deck around that cabin, and I remember in the late 70s the worst that was happening, was some séances on that deck, evidenced by remains of LOT of candles having been burned, ceremoniously, not destructive, unlike today's scumbags..

The cabin used to be protected by snow covers on all the windows and the door. All since destroyed by scumbags.

Anyway back to Judge Lott ...  when he was on his death bed, his Physician was Merritt  Horning, one of the founders of Feather River Hospital, and Judge Lott deeded to Horning, the property, some 46 +/- acres, and a decent (then ) cabin.  Merritt Horning has since died ( although his wife still lives in Burda Paradise ) and his property is managed (??) by Chuck and Phil Horning, who also bought the Jones property at the end of Philbrook.  They also own a lot of Honey Run Road property, and elsewhere, and manage ( ??) it from their ranch on Honey Run Road in Paradise.

As far as I know, the Morris Mine ( 48 +/- acres, is still in the Morris family, and it seemed to be a drift mine, not hydraulic, although there is / was a ravine that might have fed water, tho' I doubt that.  Below the Morris cabin, which today seems to being held up mostly by termites, had not had any family visitation for almost 15 years, until last year when a nephew Emerson Morris Philpott began steps to get his Dodge P/U there, and he's been successful a couple times.  I am in contact  with him fairly frequently. 

The property deed is held by a relative in the Sonoma area, Aunt Betsy as I recall.  I have copies of the County Records of both properties, both mines.

There are a couple holding ponds below the cabin, which apparently were used for water there.  I've seen pictures of life at the Morris Mine site around 1900 showing horses, way deep in snow, and that cabin nearly covered with snow.  Apparently when it was a working mine there were some 17 building, with the only remaining one now.

I'm not a historian,  Bob Colby is....   and someday, I'd love to see an expansion of the history of those mines and properties on the FOTHL site.  There is a lot of Bob's studies there, and some mention of these,  but I too would like more.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:16:13 AM by Pantheus »
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline wheeler53

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:51 AM »
Thanks Ken, interesting history

Offline Buneduggy

• Administrator
    • NorCalWheelers
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
That is some very cool history on these places. Thanks for sharing with us.
Station wagons rule!
01 XJ, d44-9" and 39.5's

Offline eigermike

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »
yep very cool ! thanks ken!