Author Topic: Handgun registration  (Read 3341 times)

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
Handgun registration
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
 :P Hypothetically speaking of course.....How much trouble would I be in if I had a couple handguns that have never been registered? Say I wanted to sell them but no one wanted to touch them since they've never been registered. If I actually had these guns lets just say that I aquired one of them over 25 years ago, the other was picked up from a friend over 15 years ago.
I've tried to find an answer on the CA website but can't really find a definitive one other than when you buy or bring one into the state.....anyone?
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Re: Handgun registration
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »
Gary,

Try this page to see if you can get help with the hypothetical question.

https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline 08XLT

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:28:36 PM »
Any answer on this hypothetical question yet? What if you were out shooting these and a warden checks you,are they going to confiscate them?Can you just take your granfathers gun in to a shop and have them registered.

Offline bt

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
there is no law requiring you to register your handgun..registration only occurs at the time of transfer.  If you sell/transfer a gun then it gets registered.  You do not need to register a gun that was passed down to you/given to you/sold to you/etc, etc. prior to the creation of the law.  A warden or other law enforcement officer cannot take the gun from you because it is not registered.  The officer would have no idea how long you have been in possession of the gun.  It is also not illegal to possess/borrow another persons pistol.  I could lend any of my pistols, wether registered or not (some are, some are not) to a friend for him to go shooting and no laws are being broken.  So unless a gun comes back as stolen there is no way for an officer to know the "legal" status of the gun.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
You do not need to register a gun that was passed down to you/given to you/sold to you/etc, etc. prior to the creation of the law. 

Brooks,

What is the date of this law ?  That is, if a handgun was passed down, in any manner, prior to what date, it is exempt...   and what if no bill of sale, or other paper exists, how is it substantiated whether prior to the law?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.   
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline bt

• New to our board
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »
I am not sure but i want to say 1998, that may be the high capacity magazine law though. From what i hear the DOJ does not have the resources or time to actually look into past transaction.  If you are in possession of a gun that was previously registered, and thus still showes the ownership of the gun being someone other than yourself, you might have to explain it.  I dont know what would happen if you then went on to sell that gun to another party (thus registering it to the buyer)...it would be interesting I am sure.  If the gun was never registered at all it would be nearly impossible to determine length of ownership.  Now if the gun was manufactured after the law started i guess it would be tough to say you owned it/transfered it prior to the law. 

I am sure there are a bunch of what if's and other gray areas.  The bottom line is that a law enforcement officer is not going to be able to take the gun in the field unless the serial number indicates it was stolen, used in a crime etc etc.  Most officers wont even run the numbers unless they are investigating a crime that was committed.  If you are just out target shooting there is nothing to worry about.

Offline 08XLT

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Thanks bt I have been wondering about that for awhile,appreciate the info.

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
 ;) ;) :) :) :D :D
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.