Author Topic: rock creek campground  (Read 3537 times)

Offline eigermike

rock creek campground
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:42:59 PM »
whats the best ,way to get there from orland? i know the switch backs im not going to drive my truck up those. dont know the area past ramsy bar heading west. any help would be thankfull.!  thanks mike

Offline Wilson

Re: rock creek campground
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:48:48 AM »
R line out of sterling city can get you there. I'm not familiar enough to give you better directions, sorry.

Offline ragdump

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:13 AM »
The number one thing is get a good map,alot of the gates are locked now so you have to know the way around ,the R-Line can get you there but there are 2 creek crossings that last week were pretty hairy but if you come in on the R-line it's probably a 20 mile drive ,you stay on the R-line for most of that the it Y's into the 330 U-Line make a hard Lt. go past North Valley and down to Rock creek or you can come in on Concow road all the way to Ramsey Bar at the T 1/4 mile before the creek Xing turn Rt. next T (330 U) turn Lt, 4or 5 Miles to rock creek,start with plenty of gas it's a ways

Offline eigermike

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
thanks guys! i will have to give it more thought but the concow way looks like it wouldnt be to bad.i have a 60csxgps and lots of maps but you naever know about gates ect or if the road is even there!

Offline Wilson

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
Heard reports of 12-18" of water on top of the causeways at the crossings last week!

Offline eigermike

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:57:08 PM »
i know that rock creek was runing over each time ive been there. last time up was the fourth of july weekend. scary seeing that water come up and not knowing if you will make it back across. so concow way shorter? can you make it from pulga? just ? guys  whats the best map to get? do any of you have tracks from the gps that you can share? thanks guys! mike

Offline Wilson

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
You can get there from pulga as well. I came out trough grassy and hit 70 at pulga once. Ken or nick would know more about maps and gps tracks

Offline ragdump

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
Heard reports of 12-18" of water on top of the causeways at the crossings last week!
In the morning it wasn't bad but in the afternoon it gets deeper I was driving a stock Suzuki Samurai I wouldn't have crossed but there was a guy on a Quad claiming he just drove across and it wasn't as bad as it looks ,I made it no problem but I could feel the water pushing

Offline eigermike

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
never really sure when people say ,i just did that  but you dont knowif its the truth or not! just saying! ;)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »
We've gone all ways - R-Line the fastest and most reliable.  If going to Pipejam, just don't miss that one really hard left at about 16-18 miles out.  You should cross a couple one steel bridge, one creek, another concrete causeway (Kimshew), and two old wood bridges.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline Wilson

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
We missed that hard left both times last year, wound up looping around and finding it with a map and gps the second time