Author Topic: carr mine  (Read 3433 times)

Offline 4wheelinggma

• Picking up posting steam
carr mine
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:52:22 AM »
I just heard that something spilled from Carr mine and turned Philbrook an awful color. Any truth and if it is has it been reported?

Offline bt

• New to our board
Re: carr mine
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
Philbrook creek was running mocha brown where it crosses the highlakes road at dice rock.  The lake was definately off color...could not see the bottom of the lake at the end of my dock which is only 5 feet deep at that point.  The lake had a weird brown/yellow tint to it.

here is a picture of the creek
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:52:38 AM by bt »

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »
??Call PG&E and advise them?? The new Carr Mine owners might be trying to empty out those ponds up there while the snow is melting so it wouldn't be so obvious later in the year? just a thought.
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline bt

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »
Water board, dfg and county advised...wouldn't be a PG&E issue

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
Water is always turbid during this time of year, but that does appear more brownish than normal.  Here is a picture of Philbrook Creek from a couple weeks ago.  The creek water usually looks about like this.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline 4wheelinggma

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:07 AM »
Have you heard what the findings are?

Offline bt

• New to our board
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
A couple notes...first off it sounds like we have some pretty vilagent citizens as the RWQCB and DFG both got multiple phone calls about this.  The RWQCB did go up there and found multiple problems and advised ways to correct.  It sounds like the mine had buttoned up some of the problems before they arrived.  The RWQCB is planning a return visit this week.  The County planning dept which is responsible for permitting the mine was also heading up there.  They will have the final say as to whether or not this mine actually gets reopened some day.  The county is very gunshy about mines right now as our supervisors and the planning dept really had their arses handed to them over the handling of the mine below paradise.  They are going to be super cautious about any approval. 

Offline 4wheelinggma

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:06:13 AM »
Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that there are so many people concerned about this activity. I hope that the new owners can figure out how to do it right and not let the run off go off the property.

Offline Wilson

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:46 AM »
So what did this end up being?

Offline bt

• New to our board
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »
Wilson, from talking to the people that investigated it was a result of alot of dirtwork/tractor operations in very muddy conditions.  They said there was plenty of indications that the mine operators were pushing dirt right though moving water. there are lots of little feeder streams that are feeding philbrook creek from the mine site.  Based on the amount of silt that came down there may have been a breach in a pond also but that was not determined.  Regardless, the mine operators have been warned.  Hopefully they give it some thought and realize they are working in a fragile area, if they even get their mining permit which is still up in the air.