Author Topic: Trail Prep 2011  (Read 5591 times)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
Trail Prep 2011
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »
We're starting to think about when the snow will allow the Adopt-A-Trail clubs to get in and clear all the trails. I can report that there is still too much snow to even pick a date.  Here are some pics from yesterday, June 18th.  The sign at the T is still buried.  There was one set of 4x4 tracks that made it to Spring Valley, and crossed a snow bridge to get over the creek!

14 feet at the repeater tower:

Spring Valley still frozen over:

At least the Spring Valley sign is now visible.

We'll keep you all posted as soon as we think we can pick a date.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline CAPMountain

Re: Trail Prep 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
Unbelievable there is still so much snow up there.  Nick, glad you didn't summerize your machines so you could get these great pics for us. 
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Just got back from the High Lakes area.  Didn't venture past Dice Rock but probably could have made it further if I had kept at it.  Still 4-6 feet of snow at Dice Rock.  Someone has been plowing the road up to the High Lakes and has made good progress.  They are about 1 mile from the Carr Mine turnoff right now and have plowed maybe 1.5 miles already.  1 guy team using an excavator and dozer, of course I didn't think to ask him why he is doing it when I passed him.   I don't know of this ever happening before, anyone have any information on why this work has been commissioned?  Could it possibly be the new Carr Mine owners looking to get started on operations this summer?    In any case, it was beautiful up there and there wasn't a lot of activity for a nice clear weekend.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
I did hear that the Carr Mine operators or their agents were going to plow in the mine area.
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline eigermike

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
any word on a possible work date? just asking trying to plan a trip to rubicon.thanks mike :)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »
No, Mike no decision as to date yet.

I say hit the 'Con, and maybe before end of July we can plan more.

Was up Saturday, and plowed ( sort of ) to Carr mine, but they got the plowing shut down.

Plowed to Philbrook causeway, but they too got shut down

Some vehicles past Carr mine, but it is way sloppy, side-hills, and very hard to maneuver.

Better to move at night or early am, for now,  and way too much water to deal with on and near trails.

I hear Rubicon only marginally better.

Ken

K6KLK

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »

Was up Saturday, and plowed ( sort of ) to Carr mine, but they got the plowing shut down.

Carr mine operators actually finished plowing all the way through to their property last Sunday.  Saw them finishing as I was driving out.  No major snow until after dice rock now. 

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
Still major snow way before the T.  I'll keep checking the road condition every couple days to see when we can get in.
N6RCJ

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
FOTHL Opening - Sat August 20th
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
Well we’ve been trying to watch the snow level at the T for a time when we can finally get in without too much snow and mud, and get the trails ready for the season, albeit a short one this year.  Probably like always we will find the area has been in use by those that can go over the snow, and it’s doubtful there was too much trail work done given the effort of just getting there.  So we finally got a date:

Saturday, August 20th
Lets plan to meet at Spring Valley Lake at 9AM, and be on the way to your individual trails by 10 AM.

We will still likely have some mild drifts on the way to Spring Valley Lake, but they at least won’t be so big as to be dangerous – hopefully!  Each club will have the normal trail clearing stuff, and a fire ring or two to install if they have a red campsite on/near your trails.  We want to get a firering install at each campsite on our map by the time we start the High Lakes planning next year. (??)

We are now restricted from using chainsaws as part of any official FOTHL activities, but you can always cut firewood for you own campfire.  Also, lots of times you can just wrap a chain around a down tree and drag it easier than cutting it.

Each club will have certain sections of trail, and of course anyone not associated with a club but shows up because of reading this Forum gets to work the best trail of all, the 519 and Pipejam!  there is a lot to do, so please come and help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Nick
FOTHL Adopt-A-Trail Coordinator
N6RCJ

Offline eigermike

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
so any news about whats planed for the 20th?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Mike,

Nick might not able to respond for a few days, and it is his call, but.....

It is my understanding that there are three trails in dire need of clearing:

1)  PipeJam ( 519 )

2)  Ben Lomond ( 611 )

3)  Soda Ridge ( 501 - 26N74 - 606 - 602 )

All camps in need of cleaning / clearing

Some fire ring installations, at lest 10,  maybe more

Possibly some tree planing at our group camp ( Hippy Camp - off 614 )

I'm sure Nick will make assignments. 

This is a tall order, so many bodies  and simple hand tools needed.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:10:08 PM by Pantheus »
K6KLK

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »
What are we using for HAM freqs?  Going to use the repeater for more traffic/use?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.
K6KLK

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Use K6FHL 146.700(-) Pl 110.9 for general use and 146.445 Simplex for talking car to car in your local work area.
I won't be up there due to a prior commitment but I will monitor the W6SCR repeater on 146.290(-) pl 110.9 when I am available that day.
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:43 AM »
See you all up there.  Again, if you are on the fence about coming, please make the effort.  There is a lot of work we have to do in some spots to keep the trails from switching from Green to Yellow, which can involve their closing.  We go into a planning phase next year, and many of the "ologists" will be making their assessments later this Fall.  We need the place looking nice and spiffy in terms of erosion control.  And an early thanks to Ken for working like a full time employee to put contracts in place, and get all the needed supplies organized with the Lassen NF.
N6RCJ