Author Topic: Search & Rescue & the Repeater  (Read 3946 times)

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
Search & Rescue & the Repeater
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
The High Lakes repeater is currently being used by Butte County Search & Rescue as a back up form of communications for a search going on for some missing 4x4ers.  They are trying to get in to Keegan's Cabin as they think they may be in that area.
Some of the SAR search crew are hams are using the repeater as a talk net to keep the main local government channel clear.
Gary
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline ragdump

Re: Search & Rescue & the Repeater
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Gotta be ugly up there

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
Missing Parties have been found in the first cabin on the left at Phillbrook. All are safe and on the way out in the snowcat.
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Wow.  Great to see the repeater in use, but lame to be stuck up in this weather.  Hope all are okay.  Thanks for monitoring the repeater for us Gary.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »
I informed the cabin owner.  Hopefully SAR closed things back up.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline 4wheelinggma

• Picking up posting steam
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
Glad they are all safe! Hope that the cabin was left secure. I would hate to see that damage has been done to it when it provided shelter at a time of need. I am sure one of many times that the repeater will be used to save people...great job getting it in!

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
I hope those that broke in plan to compensate the cabin owners for the damage they caused.  Just because Search and Rescue had to come get them doesn't let them off the hook for their actions.
N6RCJ

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
I don't know, I was asked to help rescue the truck this week. I asked for some fuel money but heard nothing back. On another note, I heard a rumor that this was not the first time this particular gentleman needed rescuing.   :(

On a third note, what happens if the solar panel is covered in snow for an extended period of time? (Besides the obvious, batteries go dead/repeater offline. Will it hurt it?)  I'm sure by now it is covered, Chester reported 9' of snow on the ground.

BUT, I heard that 70s and sunshine is possible by Wednesday!   ;D

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
I have a low voltage shut off switch in the charge controller in case the batteries get too low. I think it's set at 10.5 volts. Anyway if the voltage drops below what I have it set at the system will shut down. When the sun comes out and the batteries are charged back up to 12.5 volts the system will turn back on automatically.
This summer we need to add 10ft more to the tower, install the new higher gain antenna, raise the solar panel, install guy wires,  add 2 more batteries, install the weather station, and install the APRS digipeater. We may also be installing hard-line commercial grade coax and we will have to disable the link transmitter and send it back to the manufacturer for a frequency change.  Seems like my summer is booked already.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:52:03 PM by N6BLU »

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:55:00 AM »
Just when you thought your work was done...there is more, and more, and more  ;)  Well, I truly appreciate it and will gladly offer any help I can during the projects.  After seeing those pictures Nick took I was wondering if you were going to add to the tower height and raise the solar panels...turns out you are.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
They did close it back up with some aluminum foil and duct tape.  Good Job SAR!
N6RCJ