Author Topic: Programming help  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Scooterloo

Programming help
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
When programming a simplex freq. like PHLBRK or FOTHL is it necessary to enter the pl? I realize these are just freqs. and not repeaters but the CTCSS is listed on the pdf.

Sorry for the dumb question but I never took the class and it has been over a year since I took the test = radio idiot.

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
  • Master of B.S. In all things related to everything
Re: Programming help
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:14:43 PM »
It's not required for our simplex frequencies but some people do use PL's on simplex so they only hear others using the same PL.
Gary
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
Thanks Gary! One more question: When manually programming my vertex the manual asks you to enter the freq. you want. I realize transmit and receive are different + - . When initially entering the freq. do I use the receive freq?

I have been entering the receive freq. because it shows a .6 gain with a + and a .6 with a -

I think I figured this out, thanks again

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Thanks Gary! One more question: When manually programming my vertex the manual asks you to enter the freq. you want. I realize transmit and receive are different + - . When initially entering the freq. do I use the receive freq?

I have been entering the receive freq. because it shows a .6 gain with a + and a .6 with a -

I think I figured this out, thanks again

Correct!
K6FHL Repeater 146.700(-) PL 110.9 for coverage in the High Lakes and beyond, is linked to the W6SCR Repeater 145.290(-) PL 110.9 on Platte Mtn. for coverage into the Sacramento Valley.

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »
Thanks Gary! I talked to a guy in williams using the sutbut repeater last night. Pretty cool.

One more question: Is the FHL repeater capable of auto patching? If so hows that work?

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
One more question: Is the FHL repeater capable of auto patching? If so hows that work?

Not yet. If things go as we hope we may have that capability next summer sometime.

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
When I tested I was told that if I keyed up and pressed *** # , it would connect me to a 911 dispatch. Does the FHL repeater support that? If not what freq.s do? Thanks again O Knowledgable One!

Offline N6BLU

• K6FHL Repeater Trustee
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Not yet as the phone patch on the W6SCR repeater has no phone line to hook to it.  At this point due to the county bureaucracy we cannot have access to the phone lines in the building at W6SCR. If we have to supply our own line there will be some monthly cost involved that would be shared by FOTHL and the BCSCR.  That we will have to talk about at our next Board meeting. Hopefully we can have that in place by summer.
Gary

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »
...    it would connect me to a 911 dispatch. Does the FHL repeater support that? If not what freq.s do?

To answer this part of your question ..

While in Eldorado County, the County repeater the .805 ( R not Simplex) does support auto-patch, and why you heard about it while testing at the Rubicon area  site

I think the .805 is programmed into your HT   While Nick and I were on the 'Con last year, he elected to call his wife (with John's help) to explain why we were delayed by many hours. 

Yes, everyone listening to .805 heard it,  it was amazing to see / hear it go down..

Auto-patch is a great tool, if it isn't abused, with unnecessary talk..   And remember it is not a duplex call, so only one can talk at the same time.

And yes it will cost a monthly fee and a set up fee, and we'll add that as an agenda item at our next meeting (remind me)

Ken
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org