Author Topic: 4x4TrailFinders has its own trail!  (Read 9627 times)

Offline eigermike

Re: 4x4TrailFinders has its own trail!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »

GRASSY  CAMP

PUCKER POINT

THE TRAIL WAS BLOCKED BY SOMEONE BEFORE FRYING PAN FALLS AND THEN ANOTHER PLACE AFTER THE FALLS.
THE PIPEJAM CAMP WAS ALLSO BLOCKED OFF
THIS IS AT THE ROCK CREEK CAMP GROUND

LOOKS LIKE THERE WAS A GOOD TURNOUT. NICE TO MEET YOU GUYS AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL AGAIN.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
That blockage is wierd.  Ken and I encountered it a few years ago in spots below Pipejam camp.  Again, it was just a couple of medium-sized sticks drug across the road in a few spots.  This group can't be very bright thinking that a couple sticks across the road is going to be a closure, or even a hassle.  Its not logical.  They also must not know that blocking a legal trail on Federal property is a Federal offense, if you can call it blocking.  I am a bit worried though about their intent.  I hope we don't next find buried nail boards in the road. or pot plants.  Whoever they are, they are working on the illegal end of the process.  Maybe we need a game camera out there, as I suspect they are not our Friends.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline Wilson

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
Given the time of year, I have my suspicions.  I know of a few hunters that think that area is "secret". I plan to hunt in there myself.

Offline eigermike

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
they had allso blocked the campground ! yes it wasnt hard to undo it but if you have never been there before you wouldnt know where to go. just a strange feeling when you see things like that,you dont know who did it or why. 

Offline Wilson

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
Obviously not regular users of the trail for "trail running" purposes.  I heard nothing about those blocks as of two weeks ago when a group ran the trail.  It would seem that they are that recent.  It's almost comical, although people have chosen to drive around less.  It's a shame there is still the "us and them" mentality.

Offline CAPMountain

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:09 AM »
I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with the turn out and the level of interest of so many parties.  It is amazing to see this level of cooperation among 4wheel drive clubs, individuals and the Forest Service.  Thank you to all who are helping to improve this area.
In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get further up today or you will exercise your strength so that you can climb higher tomorrow.

Offline eigermike

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
ran the trail sat with 2 other guys.we started in the rain down in tobin.ran into snow where the new sign is at 615/617. went up to 519 and ran the whole trail and never had to back track untill the switch backs. the 519 is allready a great /beautifull trail but add the snow and this place is nothing but beautifull! :)

bear lake

the swim hole. does anyone know info about this spot or where i could find out the history about the mine that is there?

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
Fabulous pics.  There is speculation about that old foundation, but I have never heard anyone talk about it where the sentence didn't start with, "I think I heard....."
N6RCJ

Offline eigermike

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 07:11:45 PM »
is there somewere to find out about it?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 10:34:42 AM »
regarding the foundation and site.

I was originally told that it was a shingle mill, and that the shingles were hauled out to the narrow guage rail, then on to standard guage at transfer Point and into Stirling City.  (somewhat hard to see many cedars in that area)

That story was totally refuted by a long time miner and explorer of the area,  He possibly knows at least three generations of use of that area, and he says simply was a miners cabin and homested site.   I am leaning to that version.
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline eigermike

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
thanks that last one sounds better to me! no matter what its a great site!

Offline eigermike

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »
whats happing with the trail? did we ever get rocks droped?is there any plans for whats next? just asking :)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »
I'm waiting for some pics of the "after" from the LNF.  Then I'll know more.  I do know the District Hydrologist went down the trail after the rock drop and noted a few spots that need more work in his opinion.  None that would close the trail, but some we have to address.  I am waiting for this info as well.
N6RCJ

Offline Wilson

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
Brought 7 rigs through on Saturday, trail looked to be in good condition.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 04:10:45 AM »
with smiles all around?
N6RCJ