Author Topic: 4x4TrailFinders has its own trail!  (Read 9626 times)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
4x4TrailFinders has its own trail!
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:29:42 AM »
The 4x4Trailfinders "group" has been given a trail in the High Lakes as an Adopt-A-Trail.  True dat.  Bunches of you are probably like me - not members of any one club - but still active in the High Lakes and want to do your part to keep it open and clean.  So this rag-tag bunch now has a trail if its own, and arguably the best wheeling trail in the High Lakes - the 519, better know as the trail to Bear Lake and beyond through Pipejam.

So on Sept 25th, the official Fall Work Pary, any of you who aren't part of another club are welcomed to come on down the 519 with us.  Hopefully we'll get a good share of the 120 tons of rocks to better armor some of the water crossings and keep those tires from making muddy runoff.  We also need to start reestablishing the trail to the other campsite at Bear Lake.  If there is enough of us, we may even start to work on some of the spots on Pipejam that look like they will have erosion potential as the trail gets more use.

More later when I get specifics, but I am also looking for a few of you who can help map out GPS points in advance of the rock drop.

Another excuse for a good day of wheeling anyone?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:03:40 AM by chicomecha »
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline eigermike

Re: 4x4TrailFinders has its own trail!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »
count me in,sign me up,this trail deserves it. let me know how i can help? what do you need for gps points maybe i can head up there this week. let me know i will help anyway i can!  thanks mike

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
Yes, that GPS help may be needed.  I'll post as soon as we know, as we have to coordinate with LNF and LNF Fire.

And, its now 287 tons of rock sitting at the T, and we are finally going to get trail signs to pound in to mark trail numbers.
N6RCJ

Offline NoWorries

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
thanks for the email and getting this together chicoMecha.
I am in to help.
tom r. - NoWorries.
Tom and his '64 Toyota L/C

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »
The only thing I can add is....

We don't have "120 tons of rocks"  to move.

We have 287 TONS of rock to move.  Of course not all to 519   but throughout the High Lakes trail system.

Thanks for organizing, this Nick  !

Ken

K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline boogoos

• New to our board
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
What happen to the club who originally adopted that trail? The High Lake Trekkers, which you are a paid member of???norm

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
Great question!  Yes, you're right, the trail is officially shared with the High Lakes Trekkers, an official CA4WD club, which has 4 members, 2 that I actually know, and has never had a meeting.  Practically, in the last 5 work parties, one member never showed, one was there once (I think), one was organizing the whole FOTHL work party itself, and one organized everyone else that showed up on the trail.  So sharing this trail with 4x4Trailfinders is pretty darned important, as that has pretty much been the only people available to do the actual work.  It is also the group responsible for reclaiming the trail beyond Frying Pan Falls, putting in literally thousands of hours to get this trail back and turned into Pipejam - our premier wheeling trail in the High Lakes.  Many thanks to all the 4x4Trailfinders that continue to show up in numbers each time.  You all have funny screen names, but you sure have real faces and real sweat.  So I guess its my oversight to call it "its own trail" on the 4x4Traifinders website.  Sorry 'bout that.
N6RCJ

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
What happen to the club who originally adopted that trail? The High Lake Trekkers, which you are a paid member of???norm

Nothing happened.   both clubs are the official adoptees.  Nick just didn't list High Lakes Trekkers   (mainly because there are what 4 members?  and 3 of them are also 4x4TrailFinders ?)  We could use some help in clearing that trail,  and fire rings, plus tons of rocks.  Possibly more help needed than High Laakes Trekkers ALONE  can provide?,

I apologize foir Nick's leaving them off.

Ken.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:17:27 AM by Pantheus »
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline eigermike

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
i just want to thank all who help with this and all the trails! im ready for the 25th. whats the goal for the trail on work day? 

Offline eigermike

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
whats up for work on the trail this sat?

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
OK, I finally have a pretty complete list of what we need to do this Saturday.  Tom Rosenow (NoWorries) is going to lead the crew this year.

-GPS location(s) of existing metal fire rings - bring me the points, hand-written is fine
-GPS location(s) of future metal fire rings - bring me the points, hand-written is fine
-Fix any rogue workarounds, as usual
-Install our club signs on trees w/ special tree nails (I'll provide on Sat.)
-Install trail # signs on trees w/ special tree nails (I'll provide on Sat.)

Rock Drop
The scheduled rock drop for today (Monday) through Thursday got cancelled when a hunter threatened to shoot down the helicopter.  The Forest Service takes no chances, so there are no rocks to move.  Unfortunately (or fortunately!) that means another trip before the snow flies to adjust the rocks properly in the holes.  We have the helicopter on until October 18th, but it looks like they’ll start right after deer season.

Inspect the log and rocks at Pucker Point to see it is still stable.

Finally, start planning a better path to the other campsite at Bear Lake. 

I may have more, but this is going to be a good day of work.  Also, I don't think we need to go all the way through Pipejam this trip.  Next year when we get more metal fire rings, we will want to install one at the campsite with the swimming hole, and one at Pipejam camp.
N6RCJ

Offline eigermike

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
sounds good!

Offline NoWorries

• New to our board
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
Happy to help out.  Kind of new at this so any ideas or opions to make the trail and camp sites better is appreciated from all.

I will have my GPS so we can locate the existing fire rings and mark where we feel the ones missing should go.  I know I have PipeJam Lake camp GPS'd from a while back so we may not need to go that far unless others want to.

tom.

Offline eigermike

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 05:36:54 AM »
look forward to meeting you tom. i will have my gps too .

Offline NoWorries

• New to our board
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »
GPS Coordinates of Fire Rings of camps Grassy Flat, Rock Creek, Bear Lake 1, Bear Lake 2 (hiking), and Pipe Jam.

Thanks everyone that helped out and worked on the trails and the camp sites.  We cleaned up all of the above camps. Rebuilt Fire Rings.  Move the one at the Rock Creek Swimming Hole away from the over hanging trees. Repaired the trail in a couple of places (pucker point) and removed an off trail muddy work around.  Finally, we hung signs to designate the route and who is maintaining the trail.

nice job and it was fun meeting all of those that participated.

Tom R.  (NoWorries).

coordinates (these will work on google maps as entered below for those that do not have a gps):

Route 519 (Bear Lake/Pipe Jam)

Camp      Location      Type of Fire Ring

Grassy Flat   40 00.002N/121 23.065W   rock

Rock Creek
Swim Hole   39 59.397N/121 23.552W   rock

Bear LK      39 59.576N/121 23.674W   steel (forest svc)

Bear LK (HIKE)   39 59.563N/121 23.668W   rock
(does not show
 on map as
 expected -
 ? gps coords)

Pipe Jam     39 58.491N/121.23.660W   rock