Author Topic: Long Lake 7/23-7/26  (Read 7690 times)

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
Long Lake 7/23-7/26
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
             Hey guys just got back from my Northern Cali trip.... One stop along the way was the good old High Lakes.
I based camped at Long (at the best spot, was lucky to get it) from Thursday through Sunday with some of my old Chico friends. I saw all the trail improvements and new signs posted along the tail. Great work Guys!! I was able to help a little bit by bringing in rock from the "T" and placing them in the area by long that was labeled  "Drop Rock Here".......I also did the norm by picking up any and all trash I saw along the way in and out…..... I also meet one on of the trail riders that was doing the repeater testing on Friday… He came in to camp a little abruptly, almost a little rude… but once he explained what he was doing  and hooked us up with some of your new maps it was all good….…We had a great time, like always..........

But things have CHANGED…….That’s forsure…….

While at long I experienced some different things....

1.) The deer are even more friendly...which was cool/ odd/ but almost annoying.. (will post Pics later)

2.) The amount of people...wow. :o :o.. Before on a off weekend I would see maybe two or three groups MAX with maybe 2 or 3 rings in each group.... This time while I was there I saw at least 10+ groups with 5-10 rigs each... that were blaring there music super loud and seemed not to have a care in  the world. >:( >:(

One group in particular was very inconsiderate of others..... They were camped at the far northeast end of long and played there music super loud and had Loud Drunken chatting going until 1:30am. They would have gone on longer if I did not yell at the top of my lungs across the lake to tell them to "Please turn down your music" I must have yelled that at least 5 times before I go a response. The response I received was not cool.... Talking shit and saying "oooo are you with Friends of the High Lakes?" across the lake at 1:30am which was followed with more shit talking to me.... it’s Like they don't even get it... Those people should be banned from there for ever >:( >:( >:(.....

It really pissed me off when they throughout the...."Are you with the Friends of the High Lakes" comment...... >:( >:( >:(

I mean WTF.... I drove all the way up from San Diego to deal with 40+ year old men acting like dumb shits..... I could have gone out to Ocotillo for that....

3.) Mice…..WTF where did they come from…..They are everywhere now…. My rig was parked for less then 24hrs at any one time and I still had two full blown nests in my rig…….Crazy…….. One was on the intake Manifold… so no biggie…. Easy clean up….. but the second was not……. As I hit the pavement in Butte Meadows I switched my air from “Recirculate” to “Fresh” air and all this shit came in to my Blower fan/motor and made crazy noises….….so I turned everything off and when I got down to Chico I pulled over and started pulling shit off my rig….. Low and behold when I pull the blower motor I found another Mice nest and a dead mouse inside……wow that blew my mind……I could not believe that they had penetrated my rig so much in less than 3 days………….. Not to mention I had another 800 miles to drive in 100+ temps…. (will post pictures later tonight)….

So I hope the next time I make a run up there I will not have to deal with these issues….

But all in all it was a good trip… no mechanical breakage/damage….just a little body damage on my friends stock rigs…. Yeah I got them all through to long….. ;D ;D
01 D-Cab Taco. W/ Coilovers, Bilsteins, Locker,  Home built front, rear, skids, sliders, & 9k Superwinch.

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Re: Long Lake 7/23-7/26
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:43:02 PM »
Any chance you got license plate numbers? Vehicle descriptions ? Any chance to remind them that without FOTHL and all the great work members have done, they'd be locked out? Or be camped at the "T"?

I'm glad you were able to eke out some joy on your long trip. Mice?  Never heard of that problem.

Ken
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »

Na Ken I was not able to get any plate numbers... It was night time and I did not make the trek over to their spot to jot down their info. Then we were the 1st group headed out on Sunday, so I was unable to get anything....

I know that this does not help much, But it was a group of Jeeps (mainly). Older guys... If they would have come over to my spot, I would have been happy to give them a piece of my mind!!!!

So that all went down on Saturday night... The two nights before that were better... That group was not there and the other groups that were there, were not as bad....

As for the mice... I know it was weird... I have never experienced that before either... I saw them running around at night every once and a while. I spotted them with my flash light when I was head to the tent or cooler for a colde..... Did not think much about it until I was headed out on Sunday.  Then about 10min from Long I smelled burning coming from my rig. So I popped my hood and there I found the 1st nest...

PS.
Hey ken on another note, do you know what works well up there for fishing??? I was on  Long in a 4person raft in the morning and at dusk each day and did not catch nada.... They were jumping 5 ft from my raft so I know that they are there..
01 D-Cab Taco. W/ Coilovers, Bilsteins, Locker,  Home built front, rear, skids, sliders, & 9k Superwinch.

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Pictures from the trip....

Heading In....

Norma loving it..

Morris

Deer in Camp..... All nigh.....

Indian Pictographs

Headed out with the stockies......

Mice Nest in the Taco Air Blower...

Dead mouse

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 04:13:35 PM by BattleWagon »

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline Wilson

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:02:03 AM »
Too bad on the crowds...but then again that's why I don't camp at Long or Spring Valley.  We were at Morris from about 9pm Friday through Sunday afternoon.  I saw you go by when we were eating lunch at Spring Valley on Sunday.

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:15:32 AM »
Yeah the crows put a little damper on the trip...but hey it comes with the territory. 

How was Morris??? You catch any fish?? We ran Morris Friday afternoon and put a few rods in the water but no luck followed.. Had fun coming out, it sure has changed in the past few years…

What rig were you in? When you saw me at Spring Valley?

We did the same. Headed out early then meet up with some other friends for lunch at Spring.  They ended up staying at Spring Sunday night, but I hit the road towards Chico…….

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline Wilson

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:42:48 AM »
Morris was nice and secluded, I only dropped a line in for a few minutes and got no love. I'm going back in the fall for a weekend with my dad and two kayaks.  I may also do a  bit of diving to see what the bottom of the lake is like.

I was in a  slightly modified Fj40 and had a purple cj5 with me.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
slightly modified Fj40.
???
I was the rude dude on the dirt bike.  Sorry 'bout that.  Should have stopped outside your camp and walked in.  Live and learn.  I was in a bit of a hurry that day, as I still had to go to Morris, and then to Ben Lomond to test the potential ham radio repeater site.  Too bad Saddle wasn't open that weekend for you.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

Yeah no worries.... understandable......  ;D

I remember seeing you coming out of Morris as we were heading in. Did you rid that 110 trail bike all the way down into Morris?  :o :o If so you are a trooper. Super abusive on a trail bike....

How was Ben Lomond? You sure covered a lot of area in one day...

Great work.....

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »
No, I walked in and out.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
Morris was nice and secluded, I only dropped a line in for a few minutes and got no love. I'm going back in the fall for a weekend with my dad and two kayaks.  I may also do a  bit of diving to see what the bottom of the lake is like.

Ok, I wish i would have givein you guys a heads up.... That way when i ran into you guys on the trail, I could have stopped and said hello... ;D

Did one of you have 49 Iroks? That thing was a beast...

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline BattleWagon

• Toys for Life
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
No, I walked in and out.

ok, because that would have qualified  for the enduro at Erzberg material....

So I take it you guys were using Ham's, for the repeator testing?

I need to go take the class and get my operators lic. I could really uses the Ham down south in the Desert too.

Respect and Enjoy.......

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
The guy on 49s was a ford ranger right? He is a local, nice guy.

I stopped and said hi to your group coming out on Sun, just this side of the stair case. (white 84 toy) The guy in the stock suzuki said he had more fun than the rest of the group with no body damage!

X2 on the ham radio, very handy to be able to communicate with the rest of the world up there.

Offline Wilson

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

Ok, I wish i would have givein you guys a heads up.... That way when i ran into you guys on the trail, I could have stopped and said hello... ;D

Did one of you have 49 Iroks? That thing was a beast...

No, I was on 42" pit bulls.  We weren't planning on being up there that weekend.  Fordyce Thursday night was the plan, but we made due and spent the weekend at Morris and had a nice, relaxing trip for a change.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

So I take it you guys were using Ham's, for the repeator testing?

I need to go take the class and get my operators lic. I could really uses the Ham down south in the Desert too.

Yes, Drew, we are working on a FOTHL ham repeater location...   and YES, you need to get licensed...  so many have both North and South.  We've had a part in licensing about 50 from our area, and Rubicon area has licensed about 150.

If you need some guidance, as to how easy it is to get a license, email me....   you know how.

Oh, and how about Wilson and Scooter?   on the licensing   ?    hmmmmm

Ken
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org