Author Topic: Plumas N.F. hosting meetings  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Plumas N.F. hosting meetings
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
This just in with thanks to BooGoos:

Subject: Plumas National Forest  to Host Travel Plan Meetings & Workshops

BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION  ALERT! 

Dear BRC Action  Alert Subscriber, Attention  California Recreationists!

The Plumas National Forest  is formulating a new travel plan that will limit ALL vehicle use to
designated  roads, trails and areas. As part of the continuing process, the Forest Service  (FS) will
host a series of  information meetings and workshops that will further  the process of designing a
sustainable long-term off-highway  vehicle (OHV) route  system for licensed and unlicensed vehicles
on the forest.

In response to requests  from trail users, FS employees have created a "first cut" or starting
point for  the route map, using many of the routes identified by local OHV users. The map,
understanding the rules or "sideboards" used to create it, and adding additional  routes important
to users, will be the focus of these meetings.

The information meetings  are intended to answer as many questions as possible about the first cut of
the  map and to detail how interested members of the community can participate most  effectively in the
continuing process to add and eventually designate a system  of routes. The follow-up workshops will
focus on  actually adding additional  routes to the map and correcting existing information.

The map will be available  on the internet at least one week prior to the first information meeting. At
the  same time, electronic copies (CDs) of the map will be sent to the project  mailing list and are
available by contacting personnel below.

Information Meetings:

Tuesday, April 17,  2007    6-8pm   Mineral Building
Plumas Sierra County  Fairgrounds
204 Fairground Road, Quincy, CA

Wednesday, April  18, 2007   6-8pm  Portola Methodist Church  Social Hall
396 2nd  Avenue, Portola, CA

Thursday, April 19,  2007       6-8pm Feather River Ranger District Office
875 Mitchell  Avenue, Oroville, CA

Workshops
Wednesday, May 2,  2007   3-8pm Beckwourth Ranger District Office
23 Mohawk  Road, Blairsden, CA

Thursday, May 3,  2007  3-8pm  Mount Hough Ranger District Office
39693 Highway  70, Quincy, CA

Thursday, May 10,   2007  3-8pm Feather River Ranger District Office
875 Mitchell  Avenue, Oroville, CA

Effective December 31,  2006, the Plumas National Forest implemented a temporary forest order that
continues to allow OHV use on existing OHV roads, trails, and areas while  restricting cross-country
use in the Forest. See OHV Route Designation -

Forest  Order Maps on there website at

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/plumas/projects/ohv/maps.shtml.

In the current phase (step  3) of the national process, once a  sustainable OHV route system has
been  identified, including what types  of OHVs are appropriate on what routes, an  environmental
analysis will be conducted and is scheduled to be competed by late  2007. A final forest route map
will conclude the formal designation (step 4)  with signage tentatively scheduled to be put in place
(step 5) in  2008.

Please contact any  of the following Plumas National Forest Recreation personnel with
questions:

Tricia Christofferson,    Feather River RD, Oroville, (530) 534-6500   

Peggy Gustafson, Mt.    Hough RD, Quincy, (530) 283-0555   

Lynne Ingram, Beckwourth    RD, Blairsden, (530) 836-2575   

Fred J. Krueger,    Supervisor's Office, Quincy, (530)  283-2050

PLEASE IF YOU  RECREATE IN THE PLUMAS NATIONAL FOREST GET INVOLVED NOW!

Thanks in advance  for your support,
Brian Hawthorne
BlueRibbon  Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

PS - Greg says to go to:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/plumas/projects/ohv/maps/MtHough300RGB.pdf

K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline Scooterloo

Re: Plumas N.F. hosting meetings
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:47:57 PM »
School has me busy, anyone go to the Oroville meeting tonight? I'll try to make the 10th.....

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:27:34 AM »
Most all of the High Lakes is in Plumas Co, but they are having Lassen NF do that part of the management plan, right?  I presume this meeting is for stuff on the south side of the North Fork Feather River.  Right?
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »
hmmmm, Plumas COUNTY boundaries shouldn't be confused with Plumas N.F. boundaries.

Almost ALL of the High Lakes OHV area is within Lassen N.F. jurisdiction.  The only part that is under Plumas N.F. is some of the tip out by Ben Lomand, because it is part of the Plumas N.F. Belden district jurisdiction.

The Plumas N.F. management areas of Jarbo Gap, Belden, Graeagle, and Antelope Lake will be affected, and have maps. Therefore the need for public involvement and meetings and workshops.

This set of meetings and workshops by Plumas N.F., as I understand it, is to implement the Jan 1, 2007 ruling that ALL wheeled travel in all of Plumas N.F. now is limited to roads and trails identified on a set of maps.  I have the preliminary set, and see no conflicts (yet) with what we (the 4x4 community) use.  It WILL impose restrictions on what SOME of the 2 wheel and ATV bunch have been using.  By that I mean, IF it isn't ON their maps, all travel off the mapped routes and areas will be subject to "$ 5,000 for an individual or $ 10,000 for an organization or imprisonment of not more than 6 months or both"  for violation of this order (Order 01-07, USDA Forest service).

The M/C and ATV users should be very involved to provide input, and work the maps with Plumas N.F. if there are conflicts,  but so far I don't see any 4x4 conflicts.  There are areas up there that 2 wheeled travel has gutted sidehills and made new trails.  It appears to me that Plumas N.F. is getting in step with most of the other areas like Lassen N.F. which have for more than 20 years had closed unless marked open rules.

While I'm writing (way too much, again) it should be stated that in the High Lakes OHV area, travel OFF of an existing trail, marked open, is subject to a fine.  This would even include using the rock garden by the stair case,  and the several places where the trail has been widened because users were not able to cut a log, so made a drive around.  Now true for Plumas N.F., too.

Ken

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:49:28 PM by Pantheus »
K6KLK

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
I re-read my post.  I want to correct it.  ALL (not most) of the High Lakes is in Plumas Co.  Boundaries not confused.  I did not say Plumas NF, (but that was just lucky).  Of course, in the context of this thread, there is no reason to even bring up the county boundaries.  Duh.  Pantheus is right, they are not relevant.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:30:41 PM by chicomecha »
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline Scooterloo

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 04:36:25 PM »
So...It is Plumas County but controlled by Lassen NF correct?  Learn something everyday.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 06:01:18 PM »
More confusion?

The High Lakes OHV area is in Plumas County, YES,   and their Forest resources are managed by Lassen N.F., YES

but ....

The purpose of this thread is to 'talk' about the Meetings that Plumas N.F. is holding regarding THEIR management plan on Plumas N.F.   --  having nothing to do with The High Lakes OHV area, or Lassen N.F. or even Plumas County for that matter.  And it surely has nothing to do with Lassen County either.

As stated above the preliminary maps I have cover the Plumas N.F. Management areas  of Jarbo Gap,  Belden, Greaeagle,  and  Antelope Lake   these are the areas that the meetings and workshops will deal with.

This set of meetings have nothing whatsoever to do with High Lakes OHV area managed by Lassen N.F. 

Ken
K6KLK