Author Topic: Indian Springs Trail  (Read 2495 times)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
Indian Springs Trail
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:18:31 AM »
My daughter and I went out to check out Indian Springs Trail last Saturday.  It is a singletrack access point to the High Lakes via Soda Ridge.  It has been maintained by FOTHL from the top, but I had heard it had been maintained by some fire crews for practice from the bottom.

We were on little XR100's.  The trail starts at the parking lot at Belden where the PCT also comes down to the canyon.  The trails are literally 6 feet apart.  The PCT is the concrete trail "leading to the left.  Read that line again!

Apparently the PCT is/was closed during the fire last year, but unlike trails adopted by FOTHL and maintained directly after the fire in August, it seems the non-mechanized crowd has not made the same effort to maintain the PCT.  So they use the OHV trail, which is maintained!

Anyway, the Indian Springs Trail is a singletrack, and not one for beginning riders.  Not even a quad would fit on this trail properly.  It is not so steep as to require heavy use of throttle.  We just putted up the trail.

There is some poison oak near the bottom, but not bad.  Also, the very beginning has some points you need to lift your bike a bit, and also a couple switchbacks (well built ones) that you have to do a 3 pt turn, which is always interesting on a dirt bike.  The trail is in great shape, at least the first 1.5 miles up from the canyon.  There are a few small burned trees that have fallen across, but a simple bow saw and/or some dragging got us on our way each time.  Once the remaining middle section is cleared, it is also a great trail to do downhill on a mountain bike!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:28:41 AM by chicomecha »
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline ragdump

Re: Indian Springs Trail
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »
How far up did you go? About two years ago some friends and I came down from the top,there were many downed trees and the White Thorn bushes covered the trail.One of the first switch backs had a big log down across it we had to slide are bikes down the very steep side to the trail below. Then we were committed there was no going back up,we came across downed tree after downed tree we finally came to a point were we had to leave are bikes and walk to Belden and come back the next day with chainsaws. Took most of the day to get to are bikes that all had flat tires from the thorns. Try riding down that trail with two flat tires. I'd try it again if I knew that it was open
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:23:14 AM by ragdump »

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
Wow.  We went up about 1.5 miles.  I had heard the fire guys went 2.5 miles, but although my 14 yr old daughter was a great sport, she didn't have the same drive to get to the top/snow.  Another day.  Thorns no problem - they cleared it back like a hand line.
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline ragdump

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
This is what the upper part looked like

Offline porterwagner

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
just a little overgrown... looks like fun ;)