Author Topic: High Lakes vicinity Mtn. Quail Hunt  (Read 2531 times)

Offline porterwagner

High Lakes vicinity Mtn. Quail Hunt
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Well I went up Friday  with a friend to go try to blast some quail. For the most part it was a success with 10 birds, but we should have had 10 each. Started off going up to Sawmill Peak, and then over through ragdump, over to ramsey bar, where we saw no quail through there. Then headed across the T line into Philbrook, then up into the high lakes, what a haul!! About 60 something miles I think. I wish the backside into Grassy was open!!!! So anyhow, we shot some quail near Campbell lake. Then we woke up early, headed out on the float tubes and did some fishing. My friend went in due to leaky waders. I stayed out for about 15 more minutes and caught a nice 19" brown trout, and he verified it. No i didn't get any pictures unfortunately. He was close to 3 lbs, a very nice fish. Then we shot some more quail all up around Campbell.
    Then we ventured on over to grassy and hiked back to the incident area and there were no more vehicles incidented back there anymore! We did jump a covey out that way but they took off canyonside into the thick stuff so we did not shoot. Then we hiked into saddle, saw a rifle hunter, talked to him, gave him a fothl brochure. He was pretty stoked on it. We saw some more quail near saddle, but unsuccessful. Then it was back over to Campbell and everyone was rippin around on quads and dirtbikes, I didn't bother talking to any of those people. There was a guy I ran into at the staircase on a Polaris 2 person thing, and he was playing off trail and I told him that it's a big no no, and he was very polite and got back on the trail. I told him about the ticket he could get and that it's illegal. He was thankful for the brochure and was now informed. I talked to some quad hunters going up to Ben Lomond. They said the trail had a lot of downed trees on it and that someone should maintain it. Sounds like a great trail clearing opportunity. So anyhow, that's my story and it was a great time for just a one nighter and two dayer.

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
Re: High Lakes vicinity Mtn. Quail Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »
Am I crazy, or are the quail bigger this year.  The almost look like pheasants (yes I know the difference).
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline porterwagner

Re: High Lakes vicinity Mtn. Quail Hunt
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
i think they seem to be smaller!! especially the females. The males are alright size. I was talking to a hunter who said he spotted a grouse up there, I wish we could have found some of those!!