Author Topic: Chain Saw certification  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Chain Saw certification
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
The use of Chain Saws (and or any other mechanized clearing equipment) in conjunction with Volunteer Activities, such as Trail Patrol and or Adopt-a-Trail (having nothing to do with your use as a camper), it is required that we have a Saw Card.  This is commonly called "in the business" a 212 Card.  it normally takes 2 days of classroom and two days in the field.

We, FOTHL have made arrangements to be able to get certified with a 212 card in a ONE DAY session, encompassing class room and field, in Chester.  The date is not set as of this writing.

I have a potential offer of a bus to come here (Chico / Paradise) and pick us up, take us to Chester and return.  It may be a long day, but with $ 4.00+ / gallon gas quite an offer.

My guess is that this may very well happen on a week day, as USFS seems to like them, but not for sure.

I think that if we could certify at least one, and maybe two (or more) from each Adopt-a-Trail Group,  we could cover the safe use of saws adequately, and still get 'er done.

The purpose of this is to ask *IF* you may be interested yourself, and maybe bring other members of your team to such a class.

If you can let me know by say the weekend, June 2  I can get back to Chester and whether we need a ten passenger bus or a 46 passenger bus ;-)     write to:   sawclass@friendsofthehighlakes.com  or call me at 873-2430   or fax to   873-0856
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline Sar 450

Re: Chain Saw certification
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:48:30 PM »
I might be,how long would the card be good for?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
Basically the official 212 card for real loggers and firewood permits is good for one calendar year.

We aren't sure if we'll have to renew each year yet, as we are getting the one day version of a full 212 card, but certification none the less.

It was going to be too hard to keep volunteers opening trails under USFS volunteer agreements if the rules were to harsh to use a chain saw. Might even cause a volunteer agreement person to become a camper just to clear a trail of one log...  If you get my drift.

K.
K6KLK

Offline Sar 450

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
Yep

wheelinyotagirl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:23 AM »
We got a date set to go do this yet?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »
We got a date set to go do this yet?

No, we don't
K6KLK