Author Topic: Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch  (Read 10184 times)

Offline chicomecha

• Dep. Web Wheeler
  • Global Moderator
Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:10:28 AM »
It can be done without going underneath your rig.  You need plenty of line depending on location of the solid recovery attach points, three snatch blocks, three tree savers, and 4 bow shackles.  Use the principle of doubling force on a doubled line.  Works surprisingly easy once you get it setup.  The key is to double the line in the rear by putting a snatch block on your rear tow point.

The obstacle (behind the rear tire):

Here is how you do it:  Set up your lines like this...

The rear setup:

Start your pull.

Slick as a whistle

Or wheel with friends!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:03:11 PM by chicomecha »
"If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough."
N6RCJ

Offline Wilson

Re: Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:31:28 AM »
pretty cool, now we all need to pack more gear!

Offline Onkover

Re: Winch backwards with a front-mounted winch
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
Old Topic but thought I'd drop my 2 cents.

ChicoMecha, I do believe that you are the only person I know that has 3 snatch blocks!! Great info though. Most people would not think of doing that. To recover myself once I did something similar. Only having 1 snatch block was my main issue. So I put the block on the tree in front of me and used a d-ring as another block. Sure it made for a hard pull and was not easy on my winch line but I got out and nobody was injured.

My recovery bag contains 1 snatch block, 2 custom short adaptor straps, 2 tree straps, one snatch strap and one long tow strap. Prior to owning a winch I used High Lifts come-a-long kit. This set up is OK and may get you out of the hole your in but is dangerous. Truely anything involving a High Lift jack is sorta dangerous.
In the effort for world peace I have given up killing people.