Author Topic: XJ 4 door half doors  (Read 7263 times)

Offline Onkover

XJ 4 door half doors
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:26:24 AM »
This  is one project that I have been putting off. I am hoping to get motivated and have them done before late spring.

I got another set of Xj doors from someone and will be making a set of half doors. Being that I don't really have much in the way of proper tools for body work these are going to end up looking like something out of Road Warrior. Here is the plan. I'm going to hack up the doors with my plasma cutter. Then with my MIG (I wish I had a TIG) am going to weld on some square tube and build some structure for the doors. This also will give me something to weld to when I skin the doors. All the welding I am going to do with the door on the rig this way I can fit them properly. One of the first things is to take off the full door that I am currently working on. The XJ's are mounted with torx bolts and are a pain in the but when it comes to taking doors off. I think I am going to end up cutting the brackets and fabing up some small tid bit to make swapping doors alot easier... anyhoo. I'll post up pics and updates as I can.
In the effort for world peace I have given up killing people.

Offline Onkover

Re: XJ 4 door half doors
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:57:27 PM »
Progress today on this project. I am moving slow with this being that I am designing on the fly. I don't have pics tonight but will try to post pics in the morning sometime. The wife has tomorrow off so I may not get to much done tomorrow.

Todays progress included taking off the passanger rear door. The XJ has 6 bolts in the door and 2 more on what I see as a useless limiting bar. The 6 bolts are torx heads and are a pain to deal with where they are. I am going to replace all of it with Grade 8. Last time I took my doors off I added quick connects on the wires for the electric windows and lock. Making it easy on myself to to the full doors on later. Thinking back I only did this on the rear and will have to do the fronts when I get around to it... anyhoo. With the door removed I now had plenty of room to cut the hindge. Cutting the bottom of the hindge alloed me to tap out the center pin. I then reused the pins and flipped them to the top to create a TJ style removable hindge. I got my donor door out and applied some aircraft paint remover to stip it clean. Drew some lines that I liked and went to town with the plasma cutter and a grinder. Now I am staring to hang the door and get it set up for welding.

All this may not make sence but when I get pics it should.

Offline Onkover

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:39:06 AM »
Just a few pics for you all to see what type of damage I am doing.

Offline yodersgirl

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
oh i like it ;D that looks like somethin off that movie mad max ;D
you can follow me but it might hurt

Offline Sar 450

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:51:55 AM »
Plasma cutters are a lot of fun.Looks good Onk.

Offline Onkover

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 12:47:24 AM »
Well the wife talked me into compromising my design in the name of safety. I don't like the full top bar. I would rather just follow the cut line but she was rather insistent about it so I went along and welded the outside of the first door. I got other parts in so have put this on the back burner till later.

Offline Onkover

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »
IF anyone is interested I will keep posting updates. If not then.. I guess I will not update this thread.

Offline toyoder

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 08:22:37 PM »
I LIKED THE LOOK WITHOUT THE TOP BAR BUT I DONT BLAME YOU FOR JUST GIVIN IN AND DOING IT HER WAY  ;D

Offline Onkover

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
The inside bars are done. The top bars suck but they will atleast provide a good arm rest. :P

Offline Onkover

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Well I got most the rest of the first door done. Been taking my sweet ime doing it. I have a pull handle installed and shaved off the exterior handle. All I have to do is skin the inside, coat it and paint it. I am going to try and have a new set of door hindges cut up for these doors and so I have a set for both doors. Will help alot with just dropping an pulling doors on/off. I'll try to get a shot of it in the morning, if I wake up in the morning ;D

Offline Buneduggy

• Administrator
    • NorCalWheelers
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »
those doors are looking good, definatley something i would like to do atleast to the front doors for vision if nothing else. Please keep us updated, thanks
Station wagons rule!
01 XJ, d44-9" and 39.5's

Offline Onkover

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
I got most of the back doors done. I have set this project on the back burner for now though. I got running issues...

anyhoo... I have to sheet up the other door and then slap some mud on them. Being that I have never worked with bondo it may be a interesting experience. I won't need to do much to get them how I want them. I don't plan on making them pretty or anything like that just want to smmoth out some welding lines.
I'll post up when I get back to this project.