Author Topic: 2008 Grant application discussion  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
2008 Grant application discussion
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:59:57 PM »
From Elizabeth Norton, Public Services officer, Lasen N.F.

Hi everyone, I wanted to let you know that we are hosting a public meeting
to discuss our proposed 2008 OHV/OSV grant applications that are due to the
State OHMVR Division by September 17.

This informal meeting will be held on:

Monday, August 20, at 6 PM at our Forest headquarters
2550 Riverside Drive
Susanville, CA  96130

Would you please share this message with your e-mail network?  A brief
summary of our proposals can be found on our WEB site at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lassen/projects/NEPA_projects/route/grant_proposals/2008_grant_proposals.shtml

If you can not attend the meeting, but wish to submit comments on our
proposed 2008 OHV/OSV grants, please e-mail them to me or submit hard copy
to my address below by September 14.  We welcome your input and advice.
Thank you.

Elizabeth Norton
Lassen National Forest
2550 Riverside Drive
Susanville, CA  96130
Phone:  530-252-6645
FAX:    530-252-6428
e-mail:  enorton@fs.fed.us

Dig into that grant application in the link above.

Some of the items I found were:

$ 43,000 for law enforcement in High Lakes, Front Country, and Potato Buttes.

$ 303,000 for OHV recreation strategy and environmental assessment for the Front Country OHV area. (note not a dime for High Lakes area, in the 2008 request.)

$ 250,000 to complete steps 4 & 5 of the Route designation Process.  that is, they are asking for OHV / Green Sticker money to do the RDP process, which it surely appears that will cost closures or conversion from double track to single track, and winter restrictions, per the draft_discussion maps and legend.

There are other monies in the grant application, totaling $ 1,038,000  forest-wide

Ken
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline porterwagner

Re: 2008 Grant application discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
At least she gave a heads up for the meeting, I don't know how long ago this was proposed, but a week in advance for everyone works!! That's the government working for you. How come they don't do meetings in Chico? I'm sure this wouldn't be a huge event in the first place, but still I am sure that those who wish to stay informed would like to go, but on a Monday night and so far away from where most of us live. I know, it's purposely done like this so less people know where their $$s are going.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
Written comments will be accepted until September 14  at the address, including by fax, if the meeting in Susanville isn't possible or easy.

The url of the Grant Application is also above, so you know what is being requested.

Yes, a  Magalia to Susanville trip for a 6:00 PM meeting, which mapquest says is:

Total Est. Time:  2 hours, 50 minutes  Total Est. Distance: 127.27 miles one way

Ken
K6KLK

Offline Wilson

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 07:00:04 PM »
Written comments will be accepted until September 14  at the address, including by fax, if the meeting in Susanville isn't possible or easy.

The url of the Grant Application is also above, so you know what is being requested.

Yes, a  Magalia to Susanville trip for a 6:00 PM meeting, which mapquest says is:

Total Est. Time:  2 hours, 50 minutes  Total Est. Distance: 127.27 miles one way

Ken

Yep, been there done that.  They are clearly using closures to manage trails and have no intentions of mitigating anything, by not requesting any environmetal funding for the High lakes area....an area with bad enough damage to warrant "emergency" closures.  What a load of crap.  Can we beat the drum on this and get some letters sent?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:11 PM »
  Can we beat the drum on this and get some letters sent?

I sure hope so. 

Read the request, and respond accordingly, and let them know you want and need mitigation funding to lift the EFO closures.

Hell, if they can pave a parking lot so snowmobiles can park their trailers on snow over pavement for $ 300,000 and $ 303,000 to "study' the front country, then we can do the same.

Plus a grant request can BE for UP TO $ 2,000,000  this one is a "mere" $ 1,038,000

It may not all get funded though, as usually about half gets funded, but not asking, gets no funding.

Ken
K6KLK