Author Topic: Road Maintenence levels & green stickers  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Road Maintenence levels & green stickers
« on: July 31, 2007, 07:20:37 PM »
Here is what the issue of riding a quad or other green sticker vehicle on roads is all about:   

It depends entirely on what the road level is stated as ML2, ML3, ML4   etc.

The road from Philbrook Lake to the Lott Lake T is currently a ML3 road.  Lassen N.F. is attempting to get it downgraded to a ML2, so green stickers can use it.  It currently is a ML3, for licensed street legal only. Green stickers may use a ML3 road for up to 3 miles, only, now.  It used to be that they could CROSS a ML3, and not run on it.

Best I can find out is that from Inskip is also ML3, and also would need to be downgraded to ML2 for that leg to be legal for Green stickers.  Even part of the Inskip to Philbrook must be a ML4, or maybe ML5 ? then, where it is blacktop ?

*  Maintenance Level 1 (closed)

* Maintenance Level 2 (high clearance)
    These are the ones that can be used legally by OHVs

* Maintenance Level 3 (street legal passenger vehicles)

* Maintenance Level 4 (chip seal over aggregate)

* Maintenance Level 5 (paved, usually 2 lane)

Ken
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline Onkover

Re: Road Maintenence levels & green stickers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
IF we could only convince them to make a level 0 as closed and Level 1's as non-maintained OHV trails. Then Level 2 could still be high clearance maintained roads and Level 3's passable for up to 3 miles for OHV travel. This would allow them to keep classes for all roads and trails that they have in the RDS but open the door to keep trails that they don't have to maintain. Why they feel that they HAVE to maintain every road or trail is beyond me.. maybe you could help me understand that Pan.
In the effort for world peace I have given up killing people.

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:50:42 PM »
The ML designations are ONLY for roads leading into an area, like the way into the High Lakes from Inskip, or from Butte  Meadows ..  it has ONLY to do with where green stickers can and can't be ridden, as opposed to where street legal vehicles may go.

It has nothing to do with 4 WD trails, per se.  (and I'm learning, NOT to use trails / roads  but to call everything a route, so as not to get into the differences between trails and roads)

Although of you look at some maps and their legend there is some downgrading going to happen.

Actually the laws state that if they can't maintain it they are to close it.  But don't get me started on that subject, as it is long, and convoluted, with OHMVR funds involved.  My fingers can't type that much tonight, I've been busier than a one-armed-paper-hanger the last few days.

But one solution is that the 4 WD routes we use, are going to have the Adopt-a-Trail program reinstated  very soon, and a club can and will adopt a route and maintain it, because of downfall, garbage, trimming back, and whatever that route needs.   Maybe that answers you better?

Ken

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:55:16 PM by Pantheus »
K6KLK

Offline w83Toy

• New to our board
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:46 PM »
So from what I'm gathering, as of now past the Lott's Lake T, green stickers are allowed? Or is there the matter of that chunk of private property right close to the T a spot we're not allowed to drive on anymore to get to Spring Valley and beyond? Just got an ATV a month ago after years of wanting one with plans of taking it to the Highlakes. Wanted to do some of the same "trail rides" I did in my Toyota, places like to Long Lake and Ben Lomond. I'm sure you know this already but it's not just ATV's or Motorcycles that are green stickered users up there, some of the rock crawler guys are green stickered only and not a registered highway vehicle.   Also, I saw something mentioned that it's possibly being proposed to make the highlakes area a summer/fall open season only?  Heck the most time I spend up there is in the winter time to go have fun in the snow :(

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »
At this time, sticker'd vehicles can trailer to the "T", and ride, anywhere it is open. Yes it crosses private property both at Lott Lake and Spring Valley, but that has no bearing on the license vs sticker'd.

Yes, there ARE proposed changes to stop ALL "winter" usage at Spring Valley.  There are also proposed changes to make routes we've traditionally used to single track only.  There are changes proposed to limit camping, and make certain areas day-use only. There are proposals for porta-potties, garbage cans, and passes to use the area.

Stay closely tuned in here to learn how YOU can help defeat these proposed changes.

We have just completed phase 2 of a 5 phase, and entering phase 3,  project to define OHV use in the High Lakes.  This isn't just High Lakes related, either, it is happening, by law, in every forest, and  blm property in the US.  The next phase will be totally critical to our future up there. It is the DEIS stage, a Draft E]/b]nvironmental I[/]mpact Statement .  They will present 5 "options"  A=no changes, B=minor changes, C=more severe changes, D=yet more severe, E=close the entire forest.  A isn't even possible, B & C aren't realistic either, from the environmental reports I've seen, so far.  I'd bet, the "preferred" option is D. And we get winter closures, limits on number of campers in already established camps, lose many trails to single track,. And it gets more dire from there.

What can you do, other than selling a Toyota, and an ATV, and learning knitting ?  You can get totally involved, and pay attention to wht is going on, and participate in the process,  and get every one you know to do the same.  When we get a DEIS, we'll have 45 days to provide definitive, cogent letters of response. and hope they hear from every wheeler, motorcycle, ATV, fisherman, hunter, mountain biker, even grandmas to come to the party and write ,write, and write.  There will be meetings in several ares to explain the process, within the comment period.

If we don't like what we get,  or they have made errors, or flaws in the process we appeal, and / or sue.
Stay tuned, it ain't over yet,  but it sure is time to pay attention, and act.

Ken   
K6KLK