Author Topic: Current (and correct) status of the High Lakes OHV area  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
Current (and correct) status of the High Lakes OHV area
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:30:32 PM »
There are so many boards that have information about the High Lakes.  Much of that information is confusing, or downright inaccurate.   One of the boards I used to frequent even had a post saying "High Lakes CLOSED".

I went in, renewed my membership to correct that false information and hopefully clear up a lot of confusing.  I've "even heard from a few on this board who are confused.

Here is what I wrote there,  but it applies to all boards, even here.

"There is so much misinformation so far in this thread, I felt obligated to break my disappearance from here to clarify some of it."

"The High Lakes OHV area IS NOT CLOSED."

What did get closed by an "emergency forest order" effective July 12 is:

The trail to Saddle Lake - due to user abuse and destruction, by going OFF the trail.

The trail below Bear Lake past Frying Pan Falls and Creek - working on this issue

The trail out past Grassy Lake that went down towards Rock Creek Crossing - not sure yet of all the reasons, but feel it is Cal-Fire related when they fought the Storrie Fire several years ago. Also working on this one. This and the one above it closes all access EXCEPT for that from Lott Lake "T"."

"There is a Route Designation process going on, like there is in every N.F. in the country, and they are all on different schedules, Lassen N.F. is starting phase 3 of a 5 phase (roughly a year, each phase) program, so this isn't anything new. It has just caught the attention of those who wheel more than they read papers, and check USFS web sites, and some / many / all users are really upset."

"What everyone NEEDS to know is that the High Lakes is a closed unless marked open area (and has been since 1976) ... One must stay ON open trails, and never go up into the Rock Garden, or off any trail, except into established camp areas. Pay attention to the red stakes, and signs, and stay on the marked-open trails, have proper registration, don't drink and drive, and you'll be fine."

"Fire permits are required, (even for stoves) but fire safety must be enforced, but fires are still OK, there, even though the entire forest is under a no fire order.."

"There is daily LEO and F.S. presence there, now, something that should have happened for the last 15 years! Tickets are being written with possible $ 175.00 to $ 5000.00 fines for going into the Rock Garden by the stair steps, for registration issues, for leaving trails, for open containers, and all of the usual laws we should all obey, all the time, anyway."

"The USFS is NOT our enemy, but our PARTNER in providing recreation by law, AND taking care of the environment, at the same time, a challenge most of the time."

"There is a TON of information not available many other places in the Land Use forums at: http://www.4x4trailfinders.com"

"That having been said, adios, again."

"Ken"
K6KLK

In a world without walls and fences nobody needs Windows and Gates!
User #104362 since 02/99 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Offline Predator

• Picking up posting steam
Re: Current (and correct) status of the High Lakes OHV area
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
I heard from a friend that was talking to a guy at Bent & Twisted today that there is now a big yellow gate across the road before Spring valley as of last monday.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:55:49 PM »
The rumor floats, and I know of no one yet, to confirm or deny, but I'd be very surprised there was a gate. It *IS* an open area, and with the exception of three "emergency" forest order closures, nothing else can be in effect yet.

The ONLY entity that *could* have legal rights to close it would be the private land owners at Lott Lake or the private land owner at Spring Valley (SPI). The USFS does NOT (yet) have the rights to close anything beyond the three emergency closures.

My guess is that from newspaper articles particularly the first in the Paradise Post which mistakenly said OHV users need to find another way in, got twisted to closed.

I know a few guys going up this weekend and I'm sure by Sunday night, Monday morning we'll hear facts.

Ken
K6KLK

Offline Pantheus

• Administrator
  • K6KLK
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:18:14 PM »
I heard from a friend that was talking to a guy at Bent & Twisted today that there is now a big yellow gate across the road before Spring valley as of last monday.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

From Scooterloo who just returned.  When asked if there was ANY gates, anywhere he replied:

Sooooo, any new yellow gates up there?

Negative.      There were a lot of people up there though, exactly why we camped at xxxxxxxx..........

Don't tell anyone but nobody camps there!! Just the way we like it 

BTW. The emergency closure map was posted at the new kiosk at spring valley.
K6KLK

Offline Prunepicker

• New to our board
  • Life is short...do your best
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:51:18 PM »
Heard the same story so I buzzed up to check it out yesterday.  No gates and no Ranger.  Lots of traffic... Looked like a church group weekend.